Job title: Non-executive Director – BBRC Homes (voluntary)
Location: Central Bristol (but currently meeting remotely)
Hours: Part time (attendance at 2-hour board meetings every six weeks, with occasional work in between meetings as needed. Attendance at half-day Away Day once a year).
What BBRC Homes does: Catalyse development of new homes and sustainable communities in the West of England.
BBRC Homes is an investor in and developer of high-impact housing projects in Bristol and the West of England. Acting as both a sole developer and in partnership, we work with a range of organisations, including community groups, charities and housing associations. We work with smaller organisations to deliver bespoke projects of between 10-50 homes while helping partners maximise their offering and resources in the process. We also work with experienced partners to deliver larger mixed-tenure developments of 100-200 homes.
We have a growing and diverse pipeline of exciting projects. To find out more about our recent projects, please visit: www.bab-rc.uk/bbrc-homes
We operate in four core service areas:
- As developer: Buying land and existing assets for development or conversion
- As operator: Managing a mix of market and sub-market rent homes, and growing the availability of key worker homes and intergenerational schemes
- As funder: Brokering long-term, innovative funding solutions for housing developments
- As advisor: Advising on the best use of sites and assets through financial appraisal, procurement and development advice, and making introductions to investors and development partners.
Our values and how we achieve impact:
- Innovation: We seek to innovate on every scheme by identifying viable ways to increase the value intrinsic to each new home. This includes actively promoting the development of mixed tenure and tenure-blind schemes, key worker homes and intergenerational schemes, with the aim to improve and support community health and cohesion.
- Networks and partnerships: We work in partnership with organisations large and small who share our ambition to build more homes and create sustainable communities. We have unrivalled links to many of the key institutions across the West of England and leverage value from these relationships, for example by encouraging the release of surplus land for housing.
- A commercially sustainable approach: We are experienced at translating ideas into delivery and construct balanced development projects which allow each party to contribute in their area of expertise. We seek to recycle profits and leverage existing capital to achieve greater value and additional investment into the West of England region.
BBRC Homes is a subsidiary of Bristol & Bath Regional Capital (BBRC). BBRC is the region’s only investment company to focus exclusively on creating regional change through civic-led, commercially-focused and innovative investment. Our overarching ambition is to become a significant and commercially sustainable driving force in the development of the region, catalysing regional change through civic-led, commercially-focused and innovative investment.
About the role
We are looking for non-executive directors to form the Board of BBRC Homes to help inform our strategy and to play a key role in supporting, encouraging and challenging a small and dynamic executive team.
There are three vacancies available.
As a director, you will:
- Provide strategic guidance and advice to the BBRC Homes executive team
- Use your network to expand the pipeline of projects for BBRC Homes and support our contact management activities, enabling us to create maximum impact
- Advise on the commercial viability of projects and assist with assessing and managing development risks
- Bring your influence and experience to drive forward performance in line with the business plan
You will be passionate about housing and communities, with a desire to support our ambition to deliver innovative, socially impactful housing schemes and create sustainable communities across Bristol and the wider West of England region. You will have a good knowledge of Bristol and the wider region and will likely have strong community connections. You’ll also likely have an entrepreneurial or ‘can-do’ background or approach.
Ideally, you will have professional experience or expertise in one or more of the following areas: specialist housing management, property financing and investment, housing development, and property law.
We are also actively looking to bring fresh perspectives, skills and experience to our team that will help strengthen our organisation’s diversity and inclusivity. Therefore, we welcome applications from candidates from a diversity of backgrounds.
Please let us know if you have any access needs so we can support you through the application process.
This is an opportunity to play an important part in the running of an innovative organisation emerging as a strategic force for good in the West of England region. You’ll inform impact-driven housing developments and healthy and sustainable communities. You’ll join a small, supportive and dedicated team who are passionate about achieving these goals.
Friday, 13th November.
We expect to hold interviews via Zoom in late October/early November.
How to apply
Please apply through Voscur: https://www.voscur.org/jobs/98153 and complete the Equalities & Diversity monitoring form and send along with your CV and a covering note by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Beth Flood-Fairlamb (Operations Executive, BBRC)